Friday, October 3, 2008

Intro

What does it mean to follow Christ? What does it mean to live a life that is pleasing to God?

I write this as someone who has failed, who has succeeded, and who is trying. The lessons that I have learned and the truths that I have found are valuable despite my continual failure to live up to them. My disregard for truth at many points in my life or even in my days does not make it any less true. So for me to reflect on truth is an important thing, and any thoughts informing me of my hypocracy are from Satan.

Grace is complete in two ways. First, that it is large enough to cover everything. And second, that the covering has already been done. It is full and it is final. So I am not a hypocrite for saying that I believe things that I often do not act upon, or saying that people should do certain things that I fail to do myself. It has already been established that I cannot live up to the truth, and Jesus Christ took care of it. That doesn’t mean that there should be a lack of truth coming from my lips. Truth doesn’t deserve to be spoken of any less simply because we are sinful.

So that is what this will be: Written out truths of God that deserve to be said, deserve to be heard, and deserve to be proclaimed despite the evil whispers that we are undeserving of being ambassadors.

This world is desperate. Our hearts should be filled with a sense of urgency. But how do we get there? God’s people will be known by their love. But how do we love if we are not set free from our own selfishness? It is by faith. But how do we have faith? We fill our lives with truth. We are transformed by our minds, not by our feelings, not by our highs and lows, but by pouring truth into our lives. We don’t need to make the evils of this world smaller, we simply need to see them in comparison with reality, through the eyes of God. It is then that we see how small their power, how weak their grasp, and how empty their rewards.

That is how our journey begins as followers of Christ. With love that comes from faith, and faith that comes from truth. It is a story that is more beautiful each day. It is a story that I want to be a part of.

2 comments:

yazz said...

I love this David. I agree completely. I feel like as followers of Christ that fail only to be redeemed, we become apprehensive of righteous judgment, we become weary of telling nonbelievers what Truth is, and that in many ways, we become followers that make excuses. When we follow Jesus more and not only let Him cover us, but COMPLETE and TRANSFORM us, then we are living lives that are more abundant. All of the presents he's left for us can be unraveled and experienced in fullness.. This is good stuff.

Love you dave.

Chase said...

I think I just got saved.

...seriously though, thanks for posting this. The next time I find myself preaching a sermon, I'll likely be referencing you.